Sunday, February 8, 2009

Christmas in February now!

Once again, I am playing catch up. Here are some pictures of our Christmas Eve and Christmas day.

So here's the story of our Christmas Eve tradition. When I married Dan, we discussed any traditions we had growing up and it was then that I learned of the Ernst family tradition of having grilled cheese sandwiches and tomato soup for supper. I thought that seemed like a lot of fun, so we started doing this as a married couple. I can't remember when, but sometime early on, there was a discussion with Dan and his family and it was questionable as to wether or not this was actually a "tradition." Regardless, we have enjoyed making it one/carrying it on for our family. Below is our family, along with my mom, dad, and sister enjoying our "soup and cheese," as my cousin termed it once. I'm not sure about Grandma and Jake in this picture.

Here is Lydia styling Grandpa's hair after supper. (I used to fix my Grandpa's hair as well).


Jake reading about Christ's birth from a book to all of us.

Every Christmas Eve, the kids open 2 traditional gifts...pajamas from us and ornaments from Grandma and Grandpa Kanost. Here is Claire opening her ornament (it was Elmo). The kids also get ornaments from Grandma and Grandpa Ernst every year, too. They got theirs over Thanksgiving. They have quite the collection and it's fun to get them all out again every year.

Jake opening up his ornament in his new Star Wars pj's.

The kids in their new pajamas in front of the tree.

Aunt Sarah Beth wears her new pajamas home!
We opened up gifts at home Christmas morning and then headed over to my mom and dad's. Here is a Little People Princess set Claire opened up, from G'ma and G'pa K. which kept her occupied for a good, long while.

Grandpa Kanost opens up his gift from Jake...a cool ice scraper! Sweeeet!

Jake loves his joke book from Aunt Sarah Beth. It is still providing us with some good laughs.

"Who's yo' Daddy?"


Later on in the afternoon, a bunch of my family and the Couture's, who are practically family, come over for an early dinner. After some yummy food, we play games. Here is Jake playing Memory with my Uncle Gary. He won again this year, but Lydia was some closer competition.

Ahh..the can. I made this can in grade school and it is a favorite by all. Well, all but my sister. You see, we have this competition. She made a candy cane that she apparently thinks surpasses my can. Many a time, either the can or the cane go mysteriously missing. I have NO IDEA who instigates this rivalry??? Unfortunetly, I do not have a picture of the candy cane...gasp! So, you can just take in the beauty of the can!

Libby helping Claire remove a pink substance all over her face and hands. I don't remember what she got into...play make up, maybe?

My sweet Grandma Kanost all bundled up.

Two pretty ladies I happened upon.

Two more pretty ladies...the moms of the previous 2.
Time for pie!

4 comments:

Jill said...

The girls' pjs are really sweet, Gwen!

Gwen Ernst said...

Thanks! I'm super excited because I got their pj's for next year very, very cheap a couple weeks ago at the Carter's store at the Greene. I never shop there, but happened upon a good deal. I didn't find any for Jake because they only go up to size 7, which he is in now.

Jen said...

Fun traditions! Thanks for sharing pics. with us. I especially liked seeing Sarah...I miss teaching with her!

Amesred said...

Hey Gwen,
Our Christmas Eve is busy because we have a Christmas Eve service. I think WH has one too, but yours is earlier. Ours is at 7 so we barely have time to eat and we get home a little late. We had traditional chocolate peanut butter cake anyway and I let the kids open their orements from your Mom and pajamas from my Mom. The funny part was the pajamas my Mom bought were huge. They were a size big because MOST pajama makers run small and also they ran a size big. Matthew's size 6 would have fit Jonathan. Jonathan's size 10s were as tall as my legs. We had a good laugh and decided to put them away for next year.

We are looking forward to seeing you all in May. Jessica and I are already planning a park day on Saturday: May 30 which you and the rest would be invited to too. I told her I wanted to go to the one we went to with you last time. The one with the spinning thing Dad couldn't get off of.