Thursday, October 15, 2009

Happy 8th, Jake!

Eight years ago, a little boy entered into our family on October 14th and stole my heart immediately. How could I love one so much that I barely knew? And yet, that love was intense and fierce. I now understood the terminology, "a mother's love..." I was so thankful to the Lord for His precious gift to Dan and myself with entrusting this little one to us. I still say that today. My, oh my, there are so many times I feel I fail my kids. But, God, in His Grace, allows me to keep the privilege of being called their mama. These days are much harder than the ones pictured above. The issues are tougher and our goal is to raise our son with a heart that follows after the Lord. Respect, obedience, and gratefulness are continual goals, instead of holding a head up (as pictured below) walking, talking, and potty-training. While those physical milestones were important, the heart of my kids is oh, so much more!
And it is because we still have an intense, fierce love of our Jacob that we require certain things of him. It seems to me we have entered a new "era." Eight years old seems so big-kiddish! New responsibilities will come as well as new challenges. The call of being parents is crucial...and I have to remind myself that I am my kid's parent right now, not their friend. That day will come. And so to my big, ol' eight year old... I love you soo much. You make me smile and you have since the day we brought you home. I am overflowing with love for you and thank God so much for putting you in our family. You are a blessing from the Lord!

1 comment:

Jill said...

Happy Birthday, Jake. Jack will try to call you on the weekend!

Gwen, I love the pictures!