Friday, September 17, 2010

Diet Sch-miet

Well, I've been MIA again - only, leave out the action part. i do have a good excuse, however. i look at it as i am keeping myself from embarrassment. I have been off of my good ol' levothyroxine for a month now and quite frankly, it ain't pretty. My thought process is muddled which means it's highly probable that what I type sounds highly unintelligible. That said, i am taking a risk to give an update. There shall be no mocking from any of my family...or else.

The beginning of Sept. was not too bad. i was able to take a drug called Cytomel to give me a boost throughout my day. i had to stop taking that about a couple weeks ago. Still, i seemed to be ok. Wasn't doing any marathons or anything of the sort, but i felt able to go throughout my day and still feel "alive." This week, however, has been rough. i started my no-salt diet on Friday. So, now I am tired and hungry. Do you people realize how much salt we consume? Well, if you are ever interested, go on a no salt diet. You'll find out real quick. i know this is a healthier way of eating, but i gotta be honest...i miss my salt. Mmmm, chips and salsa... Ok, where was i? Since Monday, i have started to feel the major lack of energy. Keeping my hands up to wash my hair or to brush my teeth; going up and down the steps - simple things like that tire me out. And that walk to the bus stop to get the kids off the bus mid-afternoon - well, that does feel like I've finished a marathon. That is how out of shape and blech I feel. i am getting ready to make a pot roast for supper tonight because it is one of the dinners i can actually eat with the family. But i have been putting it off, why? Because of the carrots and potatoes I'll have to peel. Pretty pathetic, huh? Not trying to gain sympathy...just painting a word picture as many have asked how i feel. i am so thankful it has not been this bad all month, but just this week.

Anyhow, my scan is scheduled for September 30th, so the light at the end of my tunnel is drawing nearer. i go into the hospital for my very low dose of radioactive iodine on next Tuesday and then two days later is my pet scan. The Dr. at the hospital will tell me the results of the scan, which I anticipate to be fine, seeing as my blood work and ultrasound both were good. Unfortunately, i do have to wait for a call from my endocrinologist to get the ok to start the meds and stop the diet. I thought my scan was for Friday, therefore, i would have to wait through the weekend for him to call the following week. But here's to hoping he will call on Friday and give me the clearance. I will be given the Cytomel and then the levothyroxine. i estimate I'll be joining the land of the living sometime in mid-October. Hallelujah. i know I've said this before, but i never knew the importance of your thyroid until mine was gone. So...for all you out there with a healthy, functioning thyroid, here's a shout out to you. Don't take it for granted. In fact, give your neck a little pat.

2 comments:

Jill said...

Gwen, somehow I missed this post until today. I'm so sorry you've been going through this. Sounds awful!!

I'd love to come over and peel some carrots and potatoes for you. And do some laundry and clean the house and take care of the kids!! :)

Hang in there!

Gwen Ernst said...

Thanks, Jill. i know you would and I would appreciate it, but i would love for you to just come over and chat or me come to Quebec to do the same. Miss you all. Didn't seem like we got to see you much this past summer with me babysitting and all.

Thanks for the words of encouragement.