Monday, September 27, 2010

Smelling Grandma

Have you ever been somewhere and out of the blue, smelled a familiar scent, and immediately conjured up a memory? This doesn't happen often to me but I am intrigued every time it does. Research has been done on this topic and many articles written, but I am sold on the matter. One such scent memory for me is a musky perfume fragrance. My maternal grandmother, Betty, is such an affectionate, huggy, doting woman. Growing up, she would just grab you, pull you to her, and smother you in hugs and kisses. And I loved it. As a child, when we would travel to her Kentucky home, I knew when we had arrived because I could smell Grandma. The funny thing is that I thought it was just Grandma's scent. It wasn't until I was well into my late teens, maybe even adulthood, that I was informed that "Grandma's scent" was the perfume she wore. The thing is, that scent triggers so many good memories, so even though I know the truth, to me it will remain "Grandma's scent." No one else's. It's just Grandma. (Although I am thankful for the handful of times I have been caught up in my memories of Grandma because I smelled it on someone else). I so wish I could just drop everything, jump on a plane, and fly to Stephenville, Texas to get a whiff of Grandma and be smothered in her hugs and kisses. And of course, spend some precious time with her. But believe you me, I will bask in the scent again the next time it catches me off guard.

Another scent memory I have is one that reminds me of my good friend in high school, Christy (pictured above in the center). Christy was such a sweet heart; meek, and gentle. Her favorite lotion was Bath and Body Works Country Apple and her perfume of choice was Beautiful, just as she was. Christy went home to be with her Heavenly Father three and a half years ago. She is greatly missed by her family and friends. Boy, were there a lot of memories made with her in the short span of time God blessed me (and our cluster of friends) with her presence. And I smile when I think of Christy. Recently, one of our mutual friends bought me a bottle of Country Apple lotion as they were discontinuing that particular fragrance. I was so grateful and also tempted to go buy the remaining bottles. I did refrain, but I will say that lotion is one I don't share with the girls, so that it will last longer.

There are others...the smell of onions and butter and stuffing always brings me to past holiday celebrations. A negative one...couldn't even tell you the name of it, but it is not a pleasant smell. It is a strong chemical smell that I associate with my grade school cafeteria in North Carolina. Which reminds me - I now associate the smell of ammonia with the lady who cleans the tables at Fazoli's, where we go sometimes for .99 kid's meals on Tuesday nights. Let's just say she is spray happy. I know when she has cleaned a table even half way across the restaurant. Someone...take the spray bottle away.

What about you? What scent triggers a memory for you? I'd love to hear.

**Since publishing this post, a funny memory came to mind I had to share. When I was in 4th grade, I had this friend who shared my same passion for horses. However, she totally weirded me out once on a field trip. We were going to a farm and the second she stepped off the bus, she breathed in as deep a breath she could and proclaimed, "Don't you just love the smell of horse manure?" Uh - No. Even though that particular smell does bring some incredible memories with it of summer days at the farm, I cannot say in my heart of hearts that I love or even like the smell of horse pooh. (Although, there may or may not be someone in my family who does. And this nameless person may or may not have spent part of her childhood on a farm. And she may or may not have inherited the same loving, huggy, affectionate personality from her mamma. Ok, that last sentence was silly. She did, hands down. But I'm not naming any names. I'm just sayin'...).

5 comments:

John said...

I know *exactly* the smell you're talking about when you refer to "Grandma's scent." There was a buyer that I used to work with at Elder Beerman who wore the same perfume, and I would always think "she smells like Grandma." I think that was the first time I realized it was a perfume and not just "Grandma's smell" as well.

Ruth Ann said...

Gwen, thanks for giving me a good cry today. :-) I remember that smell too. I don't think that Grandma can get to your blog, so I cut and pasted and sent a copy of it to her. She will really enjoy reading it and probably will shed a tear or two herself. You are such a sweetie! I love you! Mom

Ruth Ann said...

Just for the record… I DO NOT enjoy the smell of manure from chickens or pigs…not sure about horses, because I haven’t had that much exposure. However, I DO enjoy the smell of cow manure. Not enough to want to be engulfed in it, but an occasional whiff sends me back in time. You know how when you smell a fresh road kill skunk, and everyone can’t get their windows rolled up fast enough? Most people would do the same for cow manure, but not I. Instead, I inhale deeply and I am instantly transported back to the farm, and wonderful memories.

Gwen Ernst said...

Hey John or Mom,
I wonder if what Grandma wears is called "Youthful Dew?" Do you know, mom? Beth told me they still sell it at department stores because it was the popular fragrance for Grandma's generation. Just curious?

Jill said...

Gwen, my "smell" story isn't even mine. It's yours!! :) "Her hair stank!!"