Saturday, October 2, 2010

Salt,Glorius, Salt!

My scan on Thursday went well. Very well! I was in and out of there in 2 hours, which is record time so far. And the best part was that I left already knowing I could go home and take my medicine and introduce SALT back into my diet. Wahoo!

My levels were not at 0, as I was hoping for. Because if they were, I would mostly likely not need another scan in the future. The scan itself is not bad at all...it's just what I have to do to prepare for the scan that I loathe. My levels did however drop a point which is progress. Had they risen, my body would be ready to receive the much stronger dose of radioactive iodine due to the fact that I was off my medicine and had gone through the diet. So, I do understand why this option was pursued. However, if my doctor suggests another scan next year, I will ask for the shot. I was told the shot allows them to see the level without me going off my medicine. And since my number did drop, I would hope that would be a good reason to allow me to go this direction. We shall see. But for now, I am rejoicing! Rejoicing that this is now behind me and I am on day 3 of taking my medicine. I look forward to having my energy levels rise now, slowly, but surely. And I rejoice that the Lord gave me the strength to get through this time once again. I am thankful for your prayers and I am thankful for those of you who helped to carry this burden. God is good!

One funny moment to share from Thursday: I had not had time to eat breakfast before we left (my dear friend, Beth, drove me there and stayed with me) and I wasn't even sure if I was allowed to eat. So, I grabbed a banana and some mix, unsalted nuts. I figured I'd have time to eat them before my test. But when I checked in and asked if I could eat, the lady said "no" because the tech she had asked was ready. I could have scarfed the banana down quickly, but this guy seemed to be in a hurry. He told me to go to the bathroom and then had me lay down on the bed to start the process. It was just before he started the test that he finally introduced himself. Then he did something on the computer and finally offered Beth a chair. Just seemed like he did things a bit out of order, in my opinion. But I didn't say anything. But I was thinking I missed my "regular" tech. The tech I had the two years prior is so sweet and always checking on me. He was a real comfort to me the first year, as I was by myself and a bit nervous. Anyhow, he did come in during the middle of the first part of my scan and asked Beth if she wanted the tv on or needed a blanket...just sweet. When the first part of my scan was done, I asked if the other guy was around. He said he was in another room and "did I need him?" Thinking I was safe to say something, I said, "No, I just prefer having you in here. That other guy is not as friendly." Well, guess what? The room got awkwardly quiet. And I hear the other guy say, "I'm not friendly?" Whoopsies...I then did my best to dig myself out of a hole and explained how I was under the other tech's care the previous years, etc... I never intended for him to hear what I said, but maybe it is for the better. Maybe he will work on being more friendly to his patients. I know it is routine for him to do his job, but there is nothing routine about it for the patients (even if it is your 3rd time going through it).

When the scan was over, Beth and I had breakfast together and that was pretty much all I ate that day as my stomach and head hurt. Friday was more my celebratory day and my mom, dad, sister, and her hubby joined us for dinner. I had been craving pizza pretty much the entire time I couldn't have it, so we had some yummy LaRosa's for dinner. I haven't gone crazy because I really want to watch what I eat, but boy, oh boy, I have enjoyed the salt. Tonight, Dan and I had Aldi's orange chicken (was intended for the whole family, but the packaging was misleading and there is no way it would have fed all 5 of us). I looked at the sodium level and was surprised it wasn't as high as I thought it would be. But I'm sure it was about what you should have in one day vs. one meal. We Americans eat way too much salt!! But it's soo good!

1 comment:

Jill said...

Glad you can eat salt again. Funny, funny about the tech hearing you say you weren't so fond of him!! :)