Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Just a Few Funnies

*I rotate the bigger toys in our house. The ones not in use get put in the shed. Recently, I got the play kitchen out of the shed and put the doll house away. Claire was so excited (this is why I like the rotation since it brings a new appreciation to old toys). She began playing with it asap. All of the sudden, she came running up to me and saying, "Mom, look at the floth, there's a floth." It took me a few seconds, during which I was trying to figure out which piece of food she was mispronouncing. Then I guessed it right, as she led me to the moth I needed to get rid of.

*Yesterday, as I was in the shower, I realized I'd left the bar of soap on the sink (since I keep putting off making more soap for the hand pump). I called to Lid to hand it to me. She did and as she was closing the door again, she said, "Bye, I mean, good night, I mean good shower." It made me giggle, which made her giggle back. Thirty three years have passed in my life and I've never wished anyone a "good shower." But just maybe that will become a tradition now.

*Claire has had an obsession. Many times, she has asked me about my wedding ring. "Did Daddy give you that ring?" Now, she frequently asks me, "Did Daddy marry you?" Don't know why it is a question that she feels the need to continue to ask, but she does - just about every day. And my answer to her every day is, of course, "yes." The other day, we had this same little conversation, only after I said, "yes," she asked, "Was it awful?" I don't know if she's got an early case of the cooties or what, but apparently, getting married is not high on her future priority list.

*"Who do you love?" Can't really say when this started, but I know it was when Jake and Lydia were little. We would rattle off people's names and also throw in items we knew the kid's didn't like (ex. spinach, liver, white chicken, etc...) If they loved the person or thing, they would slap our hand and say "yes." If they did not slap our hand and gave a "no" answer, that obviously meant they didn't like what was listed off. It used to be they would say yes to every person. Well, times have changed. Even though we haven't played this silly, little game for a long time, Jake wanted to last night during my talk time with him. And let me just say, if you are a. of the female gender who is related to Jake or b. a female elder to him, then count your blessings. All the little girls I mentioned got a big, fat "NO."

*Did you know we have a garage sale scheduled every month? Seriously, we do. You see, this summer, we did have a garage sale. And Lydia took it upon herself to write it on my dry erase calendar since I had not done so. Only thing is she used a permanent marker. So, yeah - the second Saturday of every month, come to our house and we'll wheel and deal. It's a good thing Dan and I are so good at cleaning out our garage. (Oh, and in case you were wondering, we also have 2 "sad days" every month. She had marked those days as well when she saw that Daddy was going to be out of town. Although, I can guarantee you those sad faces aren't accurate for this month, since Grandma and Grandpa Ernst will be coming for a special visit that weekend)!

2 comments:

Jill said...

I can't believe you bragged on your blog about how good you and Dan are at cleaning out the garage. Amazing!

All funny stories but my favorite is that you have a monthly garage sale and two sad days every month.

Kate Craig said...

Hey! Try nail polish remover if you want to get the permanent marker off your board. It worked on mine!