Friday, January 28, 2011

If We Are The Body

It's crowded in worship today As she slips in Trying to fade into the faces
The girls' teasing laughter is carrying farther than they know Farther than they know


CHORUS But if we are the Body Why aren't His arms reaching Why aren't His hands healing Why aren't His words teaching And if we are the Body Why aren't His feet going Why is His love not showing them there is a way There is a way

A traveler is far away from home He sheds his coat And quietly sinks into the back row The weight of their judgmental glances tells him that his chances Are better out on the road

CHORUS But if we are the Body Why aren't His arms reaching Why aren't His hands healing Why aren't His words teaching And if we are the Body Why aren't His feet going Why is His love not showing them there is a way

Jesus paid much too high a price For us to pick and choose who should come And we are the Body of Christ Chorus (2x) If we are the body Why aren't His arms reaching Why aren't His hands healing Why aren't His words teaching And if we are the body Why aren't His feet going Why is His love not showing them there is a way Jesus is the way

This song by Casting Crowns has been coursing though my brain for much of this month. Can't seem to get it out of my head. Not that I want to though. I'm sure a huge reason for this is something I have been meaning to share on my blog for some time...but time has escaped me lately. But it is so worth sharing! We have some wonderful friends, Beth and Ryan Riddell. Beth has been a childhood friend and I don't know what I would do without the love and support she has given me over especially the last few years. Her husband is a pastor and he felt the Lord was calling him to take a big step. For the entire of month of January he has been "homeless." He has been sleeping in a van at night. During the daytime hours, he has been finding the homeless, connecting with them, hearing their story, and sharing the love of Jesus with them. One of his goals he felt the Lord wanted him to do was to raise awareness for the kids who are aging out of the foster care system and ending up on the streets. He is trying to also raise money to give to the New Family Tree ministry located here in Dayton, Ohio. To learn more about this ministry, you can go to www.newfamilytree.net Also, if you are interested in the journey Ryan has gone on, he has a video blog that he has kept up with at www.30dayshomeless.tv

God has done some amazing things already, including the salvation of 4 people who came to the church Ryan pastors at. He has allowed Ryan's story to have been aired on some local television stations. He was also K-Love's featured story of the day once this month and even had a comic written about him. Obviously, Ryan and Beth point all the good that has come of this situation back to our Heavenly Father. Please be in prayer for Ryan as he finishes out the month. And for Beth and the boys, as they are ready to have their husband/daddy home!

Back to the Casting Crowns song...yesterday, once again, I was singing this song in my head, but for a different reason. I found out some pretty sad news. A couple of years ago, when I worked in the child care room at work, I met a family who had just come to the States from the Middle East (can't remember exactly where). The mom was so sweet and even though we had a language barrier between us, a small bond was formed. They had two children who were only a year apart in age. I didn't see the mom at all last year, since I quit working. But it has been fun to reconnect with her in the hallways this year with Claire going to preschool. Anyhow, her daughter, who was Claire's age, passed away a couple of weeks ago. No one had told me because they forgot I had that connection to the family. Needless to say I was shocked and it felt like someone had kicked me hard in the stomach. I hugged the mom and told her I would pray. My mind raced to this song wondering how "if I am the body," how can I reach and touch this family in a meaningful way?

No comments: