Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Playing Catch Up In The New Year - Part 3

Earlier in December, I got the honor of traveling to Texas to visit my maternal grandma. I love her dearly but don't get to see her very often, so each time I'm there I am so grateful and try and treasure my time with her. I also get a chance to visit with my Aunt Nancy (my mom's sister) and Uncle Bill since they take such good care of my grandma! My traveling buddies were my mom...and Sarah Beth and Matthew. This was taken on the plane before the excruciating pain began for my sis and me. On our descent, I had bad ear pain, which I know can be normal. But then I felt severe pain in my nasal passages and figured it was due to me being on the tail end of a cold. My description of it was that it felt like sharpened pencils being rammed up my nose into my eye sockets. Lovely, I know...but that was what it felt like. Unbeknownst to me, while I was crying and suffering, my sister was experiencing something very similar behind me. She was not sick, so I have no idea if it was due to my cold or not. All I know is that I probably majorly freaked out the lady next to me (I was in between her and my mom). We conversed back and forth during the beginning of our flight. But when the plane landed she said not a word to me and booked it out of there. She was heading to Vegas and had another plane to catch...we'll just say that was the reason.

Growing up, we had a pug named Suzie. Whenever my grandma would come into town though, our dog turned into my grandma's dog. Suzie would follow her around wherever she went. Suzie's favorite spot was curled up right beside my grandma, or better yet, on her lap. Well, a few years ago, my grandma got her own pug for a companion...and guess what she named her? Suzie! She made me chuckle many a time with her little tongue always sticking out.
Friday, we got an unexpected visit from my cousin, Tom, who lives in San Antonio! Was nice to catch up with him a little bit.

These are my uncles two horses. Ebony is the black one...my mind is blank for the other. They are so pretty. Saddens me that I can't really be around them though with my allergies.
I took my aunt and uncles Christmas picture with the horses. This was them just getting ready.

We got a really neat experience...one of their cows gave birth while we were there. While we didn't actually see it born, we got to see it minutes after. Poor calf dropped into a pile o'pooh, so this picture was of my uncle getting ready to wipe him down.
We were cheering him on as he started trying to use those wobbly legs.

Since we were there, Aunt Nancy let us name the calf. Only rule is that it cannot be a people name. I suggested Dayton since his birth fell on the weekend we were visiting. So, Dayton it was!

All cozy and warm now. As I took this picture, I was reminded of Jesus' birth in a similar setting.

As always, the weekend went by much too quickly and we had to say our good-byes. Can't wait to see you again, Grandma, Aunt Nancy, and Uncle Bill. Maybe next time, I can bring my hubby along! Love you all!

No comments: