Friday, November 21, 2008

A Shout Out To My Husband

During this season, when we tend to verbalize our thankfulness more, I wanted to write down some thoughts on Dan, my hubby. I am so glad that God gave him to me and knew what I needed in a man. When growing up, I attended a church camp (GO SCIOTO HILLS!) and there was a worker there named Dan, whom all the campers had a chant for..."Dan, Dan the maintenace man." Well, I married another Dan the Maintenance man! I am soo, soo glad that the Lord blessed me with a husband who tackles projects on his own and enjoys them (for the most part). In the 9 years (this month) that we have lived in this house, Dan has completed project after project. New flooring, wallpapering, roofing, painting, installing fans, fixing cars, gutting and remodeling a bathroom, etc... Dan's latest accomplishment is one that we will cherish for a long, long time. We recently switched bedrooms around to where the girls share the bigger room and now Jake is back in the room he began in (still has the nursery border up but we will be fixing that soon). Claire is still in her crib for now, but we were discussing future bedding options. The bed that Lydia was using was on loan so we really needed beds for both the girls. We talked about bunk beds and looked online at different ones. Dan started saying he thought he should make them. That thought turned into action and now the girls have daddy-fashioned bunk beds! They turned out great and Lydia especially loves the added touch of the hearts in the middle. The nice thing about having a husband make them is I could custom order what I would like. I asked if he could make them so that they could detatch and become single beds as well. Also, a drawer at the bottom would be nice. Dan still needs to make the drawers (not needed right away) and the rail for the top bunk and a ladder. But for now, while Claire is in her crib, Lid sleeps on the bottom. When Claire graduates out, Lydia will graduate up! And Dan was able to make them so that they will become 2 beds if we so desire. The top head board and foot board while they are bunk beds are actually both foot boards when they are single beds. And the bottom head boards and foot boards (while bunk beds) are actually both head boards for each single twin bed...does that make any sense at all. Anyhow, maybe the picture will show it better than I can describe. I don't have a picture of them in the room yet...will save that for when the room is all done and decorated. But here are a few shots of them in progress. Also below, is the lovely shade of purple paint (Orchid House by Valspar) in the new girly room! Thanks Dan...I love you and your handy-man capabilities!

2 comments:

Jill said...

So great!!! Thanks for showing off the pictures of the work in progress. And, Dan, way to go!! Very nice work. I'm impressed!!! I can't wait to see pictures of the room all finished!

Becca said...

I can't wait to see the final results! Dan did a great job on the beds!!