Monday, November 22, 2010

A Gift, A Cookie, An Answer To Prayer

I have been participating in the 30 Day Giving Challenge, as mentioned in a previous post of mine. It has been neat to see how the Lord leads. I believe God is directing it all, but some days the gift seems more obvious than others. There have been a few days where I have just prayed, "ok, Lord...not sure about today. Please make it clear." And He has. Today was one of those days.

I woke up wondering. Got the kids fed and ready for school. Dan drove J and L to school and I took C with me to take Ashleigh to school (the little girl we watch on the weekend nights). After I dropped her off, I decided my body needed some caffeine after a fun, but late-night filled weekend at Becky's. I am out of creamer, so I made a run to Tim Horton's (they are, after all, my favorite coffee place). There were 5 cars ahead of me, but still, I decided to wait. While I waited, I started wondering again. What could I give today? A car drove up behind me and the thought came to my mind to pay for her order. But seeing as I was scrounging for change to pay for my cup of coffee, I scratched that idea. About this time, C started fussing that she was hungry and needed a cookie. I replied with a "you already had eggs and an orange for breakfast; you don't need a cookie." The sin nature in her decided to rear it's ugly head as she continued to plead and beg and pine away for a cookie. I told her, "Tim Horton's doesn't even sell cookies." Donuts and muffins and bagels, yes, but I never had seen a cookie at TH. She finally quiets down just in time, as it was my turn to place my order.

"Would you like to buy a cookie for one dollar that goes directly to Children's Hospital?"

Whoa! How cool was that? I did have enough change for an extra dollar; I have a dear place in my heart for Children's as I have known patients there and the dear nurses who care for them. And not to mention, my youngest child desperately wanted a cookie. Of course, I told her she was going to have to "earn" her cookie with some good girl behavior, so she did not get it right away.

I just thought that little beginning of my day was too cool to not share! A buck is not a huge amount, I know. But the clear direction from God was!

1 comment:

Jill said...

Gwen, I love how you are listening to God every day to see how you should give. I think it`s a practice we should all make a habit of doing. I think our days would turn out a lot different if we were more conscious of how we could serve people.

I just said to the boys who were getting ready to play UNO and who don`t have too long till we need to head back to school, "Quick! Go see who wins!" Joel's eyes lit up and he said, "Aunt Gwen??" He thought I said, "Go see Aunt Gwen!" I guess he thought you were at the door! That would have been a wonderful surprise! He had such an expectant (and cute) look on his face! :)