Friday, November 12, 2010

Happy Birthday, MuMaw




Happy Birthday, Mom! (In case you may be wondering, no, our kids do not call their Grandma by the name of MuMaw... I lovingly came up with the name...don't remember when or why, but it stuck).
I can't put into words what my "mamma" (what I used to call her in my childhood days, living in the South) means to me. My words come up short every time. How can you sum up feelings you have for one of the most important persons in your life? When I became a parent, I learned many things (and still am, for that matter). How to swaddle my baby, different ways to burp, discipline techniques, understanding that each of my children is unique and special in their own way...the list could go on and on; some of it trivial, some of it very important. One of the biggest lessons I learned was something called perspective. Now, I get all the sacrifices my parents made and the daily challenges they faced. One of those sacrifices my mom made was to work in a Christian school and make a lot less money than she could have in order for me and my siblings to attend a Christian school with the discount she earned.
Another lesson my mama modeled to me was a generous heart. My mom has a passion for giving to others. She truly finds pure joy in being able to give to someone, whether it is a meal or an airplane ticket. And she is so creative in how she presents those gifts. She is just as excited to watch the blessing unfold as is the person who receives the blessing.
Unconditional love...that would be another trait I think of when I think of my mom. She loves with every bit of her being. She is very demonstrative in how she shows that love, just like her mother.
So, Happy Birthday Mumaw! I heart you very much!

1 comment:

Rebecca Rebilas said...

I hope your momma had a great birthday!!